Magic Pot Of Gold
Those who know me are all too aware of my love for sparkle, glitz and gold. I’d wear a tiara everyday if I thought I could get away with it. Sadly, other than my Vegas Wedding, I have not found a suitable occasion.
My Magic Pot Of Gold has been one of the most loyal of makeup pots in my kit to date. Whilst other lesser pots have been cast aside, spilt without so much as a frown line appearing or lost along the way without much notice, my Fardel ‘Or’ powder is ALWAYS kept in my makeup kit and has been used on lots of incredible faces over the years. I use it to dust over lids and inner corners of the eyes to bring them to life, mixed with water or Vaseline to create a gold leaf effect when feeling extra daring to go bold with my gold, or sprinkled into an illuminator to create a golden goddess skin. Being a lover of all things gold, I’m thankful that after a few years of standalone gold being considered a bit tacky (I don’t mean pretty highlights of gold which are ALWAYS revered, I mean the full-on block of 70’s shiny colour) the makeup queen herself, Pat McGrath, has brought out her own Magic Pot of Gold (or Gold 001 as Pat likes to call it!) creating a cool metallic resurgence and making it officially cool again! HURRAH!
If you were not lucky enough to get your hands on Pat’s pot of pure splendour (that will be most of us then?), fret not as here are my top five golden wonders, starting with, of course, my magic little pot. Watch my video below for a simple way to achieve a modern golden look for yourself.
- Fardel Loose Iridescent Powder in Or – the gold all rounder. A soft, pale antique gold that seems to suit everyone.
- BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Powder in Rose Gold – a great choice for newbie golden girls (or boys). With a gel / powder texture it blends seamlessly over cheekbones for added radiance and looks beautiful when used to highlight eyes.
- Stila Magnificent Metal Foils Finish Eye Shadow in Comex Gold – a punchy, yellow, metallic gold that looks cool and edgy when patted across eyelids with your fingers.
- Naked Cosmetics Pot in Desert Sunset – A twinkling mustard gold, gorgeous when dusted across your eyes, shins (on olive skins) and collar bones.
- By Terry Ombré Blackstar in 11 Beyond Gold – a highly sophisticated, ‘can do no wrong’ gold that can be used as a thick smudged line across eyes for less of a “try-hard” look, blended across the whole lid with a blender brush (or applied from the pen), or to highlight the inner corners for Red Carpet twinkly eyes.